Monday, February 18, 2008

Getting back on track - An afternoon with Nadia

Getting back on track? A question I was asking myself previously in regards to the whole area of photography. Sometime in January, I assisted another wedding photographer to shoot a wedding and after a long and tiring day, I noticed that my photos didn't turn out as well as I would hoped for. Then it really hit me that I have plenty more to learn and it really got me down.

It was a tough time for me as I was rather demoralised and instead of just sitting there and sulking, I decided to get back to basics, start afresh and re-discover my style. With that in mind, I signed up for 4 workshops simultaneously with the hope of learning as much as I can and gaining more experience.

Last week, I attended my first workshop and here are the results from it. The workshop was conducted by Jayhan and it was a strobist style workshop where one would work with portable flash whilst shooting outdoors. There were only two participants that day, me and Saiful a.k.a Xandman, travelled to Bukit Jalil on a hot Sunday afternoon.

We started off by shooting in a hut using Jay's portable flashes but in the end we had to resolve to our Nikon's CLS system and two SB-800s because the triggers were not working. Although we did manage to use Jay's more powerfull portable strobe light for the outdoor shoots.

0802_JayStrobBTS_002
Jayhan teaching Saiful and Nadia who was our model for the day

0802_JayStrobBTS_001
Saiful shooting with his 70-200mm f/2.8. Now that is one lens I would love to have!

And here are some of the results from the "indoor" shots.
0802_JayStrob_005

0802_JayStrob_004

Frankly I didn't have the time to post process the other shots I took in the hut as I feel that the whole strobist style which I wanted to learn was more of that taken outdoors. When I have the time, I will definitely post them up here.

The next bit of course would be for us to go outside. And this time, I had more fun shooting, not with my 50mm portrait lens but with my 10-20mm wide angle lens.

0802_JayStrobBTS_003
Jay call's himself the human lightstand

And here are my results from that session.
0802_JayStrob_008

0802_JayStrob_007

0802_JayStrob_006

0802_JayStrob_003

0802_JayStrob_001
Ok, this shot was taken using natural light though

At the end of the workshop, or shoot I would say, I felt that perhaps I have improved a little or perhaps I am still a little lost looking for that style of mine. Prior to this, I had a chat with Shaolintiger and he gave me some very good advice and I still keep it in my head everytime I go for a shoot.

Patience is the key and I will definitely think a lot more before firing away at my shutter. With that in mind, I would also like to thank Louis Pang who has been a great inspiration to me and for helping me with my queries.

I got another workshop lined up this weekend with the Nikonians Academy and an outdoor shoot with the guys over at Lowyat.net on Sunday.  Looking forward to a productive weekend and putting what I learned into real practice.

1 comment: